Monday, January 30, 2012

Home Depot discounts

While I generally prefer salvaged building materials and small community hardware stores,  it is sometimes more efficient and cost effective to shop at large "home improvement" stores like Home Depot, Lowe's and Calif.-based Orchard Supply. I seem to gravitate towards Home Depot because of familiarity and large product selection, and I simply accept that I'm on my own there unless I can somehow abduct one of those evasive orange-festooned employees.

Still, the bill can add up quickly at Home Depot, so any type of discount is welcome. The "Pro Rewards" discount program is targeted at contractors, although anyone can enroll in one of the stores. The discount ranges from 0% to 3% depending on annual spending (once you reach a certain tier you remain at that discount level indefinitely until your annual spending bumps you to a higher tier), and you get access to a secure customer portal that appears to be a convenient way to track projects and transactions. In addition, you can submit any project over $2,500 to their Pro Desk for a volume pricing quote (I haven't done this yet, but plan to try it).

I have to confess that the growing number of frequent customer programs, from airlines to sandwich shops, can be overwhelming and sometimes of dubious value. However, for anyone undertaking even a moderate building or renovation project, the savings for programs such as this one can be nontrivial and ultimately worth the time to enroll.

1 comment:

  1. OSH also has a discount loyalty program that is free to join...

    ReplyDelete